Disclaimer: This article contains information owned by Marvel Comics and DC. None of the characters or stories were created by me, but the thoughts are all mine.
By: Christopher Johnson
Before we begin, if you are interested in Comic Books or Comic Book Movies and want to be reminded or do not know what I predicted over a year ago, click here to see what my 2016 predictions were. If you are interested in an article where I explain what ways I was right and the ways I was wrong, please let me know and I will do that at the end of the year. I feel it is now too late to do that for 2016. At the bottom of the article is a poll concerning the question presented. Please vote if you have time.
2016 was a good year for comics in both the movie and book formats, and 2017 is looking to be just as good. To kick off the new year, here is what I expect out of comic books and comic book movies in 2017.
- I predict “Champions “ will be the first series I stop reviewing in 2017. It has a unique and interesting premise, but I fear the book will become boring and will not hold me on as a reader. I predict the finale of the second act is where I drop off.
- I “predict” I will do a Backlog Review of 4 series in 2017. “Spider-Woman(2016)”, Vision (2016), U.S.Avengers (2016-Ongoing) and either Monsters Unleased or a series yet to be announced. Spider-Woman is a series I dropped off when it became too boring. When it relaunched in the second half of 2016, I did not bother to read. At the end of this month, I plan on reviewing the first run of the relaunch to celebrate this blog’s 2 year anniversary. 2016’s Vision is hands down my favorite series of 2016, so I want to review it to share why I feel this way. U.S.Avengers is the follow up to my second favorite series, “New Avengers”. Reviewing this series will be my way of making up the failed review series of the previous title. Monsters Unleashed is a mini event that sounds cool. It will probably be the last series I review and an even more interesting title may be released by the time I release the review.
- -I believe 2017 will be a better year for Marvel Comics as they will hopefully learn from the disaster of Civil War II and come out swinging in 2017. Marvel just needs a series to regain readership a la DC’s “Rebirth”. I also predict DC will once again dominate the comic market as the “Rebirth” strives forward.
2. Comic Book Movies
- Of the CBMs I plan on seeing in 2017, I believe my top 3 will be Logan, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2. Logan looks to be an emotional rollercoaster that will be a movie worthy of being Hugh Jackman’s last film as Wolverine. Spider-Man looks to be at home with Marvel and Michael Keaton as the Vulture may be the best villain casting of 2017. Guardians just looks to be as fun as the previous film, and that is a great thing.
- As I will discuss in Feb, DC has left much to be desired in terms of movies, so I do not have hopes for Wonder Woman and as much as I want “Thor: Ragnarok” to be amazing, I fear it will just be too over crowded. As much as I want DC to have a really good movie, I do not see that movie being Justice League as long as Zack Synder is in control.
- I predict “The Lego Batman” movie will be the best CBM featuring a DC hero while Marvel’s best will be Logan.
3. Comic Book Video Games
- Video Games are a category I normally don’t talk about on this site, but with Injustice 2 and the PS4 exclusive Spider-Man game bein released in 2017, do not be shocked if at least one article for each game is released this year
- I will predict Injustice 2 and the Spider-Man game will both have engaging and enjoyable stories but will fall short of my favorites games in both franchises(Injustice 1 and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions)
I really do feel like 2017 will be a good year for comics and CBMs. I am also excited for future articles I plan on writing. If you are as well, then feel free to “like” Comic Conversations on Facebook or follow CGJohnson on Twitter.